Once I have been awarded the professional designation, how do I earn CPD points?
The designation is valid for a period of 2 years. Once you have been awarded the designation, you have made a commitment to continuous learning and are required to achieve 20 CPD points within the 2-year period.
CPD Points can be earned as follows:
- OPSA endorsed short courses - 2 points per day
- OPSA endorsed conferences - 5 points per day
- Coaching and mentoring (a minimum of 10 hours) - 2 points
- Publishing articles in industry related publications - 2 points
- Reading and responding to articles and participating in
webinars - 1 point
- Participating in relevant quizzes and surveys - 1 point
- Attendance of industry related webinars and podcasts - 1 point
- Formal education at a South Africa University - 15 points (max)
- Facilitation of an OPSA endorsed programme - 3 points
- Toastmasters or similar achievement recognition - 3 points
- Microsoft Office Certification or similar software achievement recognition - 5 points
- Leadership positions within an association or committee – office bearer (minimum of 12 months) on committees and boards - 5 points
- Community involvement - 3 points
- through skills transfer – offering free workshops to administrative staff of community organisations
- volunteer work in a community per year
- an integral part of organising committee for an event held by OPSA
How will OPSA know what learning I have done and how many CPD points I have earned?
You are required to submit the following information once the learning has been completed: Once proof of continuous learning has been submitted to OPSA at firstname.lastname@example.org, the information will be captured by the CPD Coordinator on the OPSA member database and an updated schedule will be emailed to you indicating your current status.
- Your certificates of attendance and/or competence
- The dates you attended training or conferencing
- The duration of the training and the name of the training provider
- A copy of the publication where the article appeared and the date that it appeared.
Coaching and mentoring activities
- A brief report co-signed by both the mentor and mentee. Full contact details of both parties must be provided so that the sessions can be verified.
What happens if I do not earn 20 CPD points within the 2-year period?
If you do not earn 20 CPD points in the 2-year period, your professional membership with OPSA falls away. If you wish to re-apply for the designation, you will have to start the process from the beginning with an assessment. The onus is on you to ensure that you do continuous learning within the 2-year period and keep up to date with what is happening in the industry.
If you have any queries with regards to CPD or professional designations, please contact Dawn at email@example.com.